Amps

Re: [Amps] 4K Ultra Restoration

To: bmaser@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4K Ultra Restoration
From: HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 12:20:39 -0500
Bob,

Go for the D7 tube right away.

You're going to have to completely strip the chassis anyway, right?

I'm working on an old Alpha 76a for my hotel room station. The first
thing was to strip everything right out of the chassis.

The variable caps are going into the sink to soak the tar off the plates
as nicotine is a dielectric.

In restoring or refurbishing an old amp you will derive that much
more pleasure in knowing you gutted it completely, and
held every assembly in your hands, inspecting, cleaning,
repairing, replacing as necessary.

An old 8877 is still big bucks. You never know what's going to
happen if you don't send it to Zonem Industries out there for
a load test.

For that money, you can budget in the cost of a socket and
appurtenances for the D7. The filament tranny will be a bruiser,
but the first time she makes output power and them needles climb the
scales
you will feel it in your bones.

It's like taking a Harley down the road after you've held the motor
parts,
gauging thicknesses of thrust washers and cross-hatching the cylinder
walls. You won't know if it's going to run or blow up if you don't
twist the throttle.

Hal
W4HBM

Harold Mandel