Amps

Re: [Amps] Want to use a knob with a 3/8" opening on a 1/4" shaft.

To: dezrat1242@ispwest.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Want to use a knob with a 3/8" opening on a 1/4" shaft.
From: HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:50:44 -0500
Usually, the lathe's tailstock has a collet and matching chuck. That's
where the drill bit goes.

The work piece gets clamped in the jaws of the headstock and it turns
the work while the drill remains stationary.

Having the tailstock in a perfect line with the center of the headstock
is the first achievement in setting up your lathe to drill true.

Cenrtering the work in the headstock chuck jaws is easy with an accurate
self-centering 3-jaw chuck, but odd shaped pieces need to be clamped
in 4-jaw independent chucks and this is where the rubber meets the
road. You will need a magnetic dial indicator to find the drilling center
to make sure your work truly turns around its drilling center and  not
in an oval or circle.

Tiny pieces need to go as close to the jaw faces to achieve good
centering
accuracy, and stepping more sizes in drills means better accuracy.

Hal
W4HBM

Oh, yeah, don't leave the chuck key in the headstock!

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:00:27 -0800 Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
writes:

> [...]

Harold Mandel
Superintendent of Construction