Amps

Re: [Amps] Want to use a knob with a 3/8" opening on a 1/4" shaft.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Want to use a knob with a 3/8" opening on a 1/4" shaft.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:59:33 -0500
Bill,

Well it will center it up, but if the tailstock is still offset, and not on
center, the pressure on the side of the hole from the bit will cause the hole
to be larger in diameter than the drill (wallow it out). So, the bit needs to
be true on center. Even at that, a bit is not accurate for a finished hole even
in a lathe. The only way to finish the hole off so it's true, and the correct
diameter is to ream it, or bore it with a boring bar. Gun drills use a reamer
in place of the bit to true up the hole, really they have reaming machines
which look the same as a gun drill. A boring bar is set up on the lathes
carriage and tool holder. It cuts on the side of the hole closest to the
operator although you can do a reverse cut. For large holes, we used a turret
lathe which had a large spade bit chucked up. Then we swung the turret around
to a reamer which took about 0.010 - 0.060" to finish it off. Reaming though is
a lot slower process than boring because of chatter. We did some
 with a boring bar on the carriage of the turret lathe and one mounted on the
turret off a slide. For a regular lathe, you only have the tailstock to drill
with as far as its quill will travel. You can bore the holes though using the
carraige. You can also chuck up a reamer on the tailstock and ream the drilled
hole. This is unless you mount a drill chuck on center off the toolpost. The do
make an attachment to do that.

Best,

Will