Amps

Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback

To: K1JJ@comcast.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 06:22:49 GMT
Hi Tom,
   A couple of points for you to ponder.

   A single OPA-695 won't make 5V RMS.   However, it's capable of a voltage
gain of 10X, 20dB power, so you only need a single stage to go from 5mW to
500mW.   A pair of them connected differentially will output 5V RMS, and
provide some 2nd harmonic cancellation as a bonus, but, they probably shouldn't
drive less than a 200 ohm load for best distortion numbers.

   Or... a single '695 could be followed by a +/-15V rail part, a THS3001 (or a
more recent part from that family) for instance, to output an easy 5V RMS... or
10V from a differential pair.  Again, this scheme may not be happy driving into
50 ohms.

   Note: Both of these op-amp approaches only exhibit exquistely low distortion
on the low bands.  At higher freqs., their distortion numbers rapidly
deteriorate.

   As the 4CXwhatever grid is a high impedance point, a tuned matching network
might be better fit than a wideband transformer for single band operation.

   Your proposed 20dB negative feedback around the driver-final means that you
will require more grid drive, say somewhere around 50V RMS to the driver, to
maintain the same overall power out.  The op-amp pre-driver may not provide
enough oomph in this instance since a 10-1 voltage gain, employing a tuned
matching network sourced from 200 ohms, would imply a grid impedance of 20K
ohms.  Where's that free lunch?  :-)

73 & Good evening,
   Marv  WC6W

********************

-- "Tom Cathey" <K1JJ@comcast.net> wrote:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion.

You make a good point of possibly eliminating the 6146 pre driver. I thought
about that myself, but didn't have enough knowledge to know if I would have
enough gain left to reduce the overall gain with  20 db of negative feedback
afterwards.  Figured I'd just try it and see.

Well, I know that the 4CX-XXXX final [they're all similar] will need about
300 volts of swing. And the OPA-695 will do 10db gain. That's 5mW to 50mW. I
figured I'd put two OPA-695's  in cascade for 20db = 500mW.  Into 50 ohms,
500mW =  5V.    So we have 5V to drive the 4CX-250 driver.  And, the 9:1
transformer will make it X3 = 15V, right?  This is a 9:1 impedance ratio =
3:1 voltage ratio...?

Anyway, with 20 db of negative feedback from the final to the 4CX-250 driver
will mean a 20db reduction in gain.  I suppose a lot depends upon the gain
of the 4CX-250 driver and the transformer.  This is where I am not sure how
to calculate it and proceed. [20 Log db for voltage, etc.]

ie, Will an OPA-695 putting out 500mw into an X? step up ratio transformer
that drives a 4CX-250, that drives 300v into a 4CX-XXX X final  with 20db of
negative feedback have enough system gain?  And, will the 9:1 voltage step
up transformer have absolutely no affect on the low distortion goal... even
if a small space charge current is pulled? What if we need more than 9:1
step up, can it be done with cascaded transformers without ill effects?
BTW, I'm curious why you feel the transformer will have bandwidth
limitations... are we talking of a broadband unun torroidal type?

Opinions?

73,
Tom, K1JJ

*