Amps

Re: [Amps] Series PC Power Supplies

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Series PC Power Supplies
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 01:29:06 -0400
Jim,

Yes, the load most certainly can draw more current because of a voltage drop if
it's producing the same power output. If the load takes say 12 volts at 10 amps
for 120 watts, and the voltage drops for some reason to say 10 volts but the
load still consumes 120 watts, the current will then be 12 amps. This can
happen in an amp say if the voltage drop was to drop the power out and the
drive is turned up, etc to raise it back up to the original output power. What
if the equipment has an AGC to monitor the output power, and with a drop in
input voltage, the AGC increases the gain, etc to maintain the power, the
current being drawn will increase. It has to as you can't get the same amount
of power out with the lesser voltage and same current. There's one law that
will always be there, for any current drop you will have a voltage rise, and
for any voltage drop you will get a current rise in any circuit. If one put
their mind to it, they could think of thousands of different items a
 nd applications where this would apply. If it wasn't a problem, we wouldn't
need a constant voltage power supply. In other words, as more current is
required from the supply, the resulting voltage drop causes the regulator to
adjust and hold a constant voltage to the load. If say one of three supplies
failed in the cascade, there would be a 1/3 voltage drop and a 1/3 current rise
if the load was producing the same output.

Best,

Will