Amps

Re: [Amps] HLA-150 information page

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>, sm2ekm@telia.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HLA-150 information page
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:16:30 -0700 (PDT)
Simple, Jim...
When there is sufficient low frequency energy (and I mean below 100 Hz), an AM
detector can use it to demod the SSB signal!  It will sound slightly off
frequency because the energy isn't exactly where the carrier is supposed to be,
of course.  Try tuning off his freq a little and you'll hear the energy up in
freq a bit, but it's clearly the voice and not a constant carrier.  I've never
seen an eSSB'er with carrier leakage like what some claim, but I'm not foolish
enough to claim they don't exist.  I happen to enjoy full fidelity SSB, and it
uses MUCH less BW than its AM counterpart, which I use hardly at all anymore.
I used to be an AM'er because of the better quality, but now I get that (or
better in a lot of cases) using eSSB.  My TX -6dB BW is <4.2k and -26dB BW is
under 5k, both referenced to 1 kHz levels, with my voice, peak held on an
HP8563E spectrum analyzer.  I have *NOT* modified my transmit whatsoever, other
than to feed my audio to it -- it does what it does
 out of the factory box, but I have modified my RX for a flat response and
accurate monitoring.

I will *NOT* get into a debate over IMDx and the pluses & minuses of eSSB here.
 It's way off topic (by a long shot) and I've been down that road a number of
times elsewhere (with a few that subscribe here).  There are incompetent
operators using all modes, eSSB included.  Email me off list if you'd like more
info...

Good Luck & 73,
Joe, N3JI