Amps

Re: [Amps] higher v.??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] higher v.??
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:44:56 -0500

>You pay a fair amount more up-front for the CFL bulbs and I have seen
>nowhere near the lifetime they are claiming.  They blow around here all
>of the time and I would be surprised if I was getting a year on average
>for the CFLs.  Granted, my line voltage is high -- about 125 -- but then
>many people have that high of line voltage.
>
>We had one that had burned out a few days ago but it was in a bvanity
>fixture of 3 bulbs in the bathroom my wife uses and my wife never mentioned
>it to me.  Last night it decided to start stinking up the place with a really
>bad burned-up electronics smell.  So when they burn out you really need to
>remove them ASAP, unlike incandescent bulbs.

As a follow up.  Just had two more CFLs die tonight -- AFTER I wrote the above
note.  A fixture of three of them had been on much of the day while I
worked under
them.  Turned them off for a half hour or so and when I turned them
back on, two of
them were out and one of the dark ones started smoking and stinking.  Quickly
shut of the light switch and pulled the two bad ones before the smoke and smell
got any worse.

I am starting to get paranoid about leaving them on while I am gone.  We did
have a "good" lightning storm today but they functioned just fine for
a number of
hours after the storm was over, so I find it hard to make some sort
of connection
to the lightning.

FWIW--John W0UN