Amps

Re: [Amps] Gassy Tubes/Technology Museum looking for artifacts

To: Karl-Arne MarkstrÃm <sm0aom@telia.com>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Gassy Tubes/Technology Museum looking for artifacts
From: "Robert Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:10:26 GMT
So WWII ends in 1945 and I become a ham in 1971. IÂbuy a brand new ARC-5
transmitter in the box for $15 from the surplus place.
I just recently on eBay saw another new ARC-5 still in the box for sale. This
stuff is still out there. Think about it, the 8th air force was losing 25% of
its flight per day over Germany. Aircraft Radio Company probably was in warp
service building bomber radios to keep the new planes plus radios getting shot
up in the air... The final war end and the production overflow was enough to
have 100 radios sitting on the shelf at this ONE SURPLUS joint in Minneapolis
still in 1971. Not to mention receivers and all the other gear. There must
have been 25,000 sitting somewhere at one time.
Looking back I should have bought complete systems for the collection aspect of
it.
There's nothing like opening a brand new radio from the box, where it was built
in 2007 or 1945.
BOB DD
When they finally built ARC-5's and the rest of the racks