Amps

Re: [Amps] Tokyo HL-1.5KFX Yaesu pinout

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tokyo HL-1.5KFX Yaesu pinout
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:09:14 -0700
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:39:14 -0400, Roger wrote:

>I don't have a manual giving the FT1000MP
>pinout, nor could I find one on the net.

Roger,

I pulled out my FT1000MP manual and studied the pinout page for
the band data jack. It's difficult to describe, ONLY because the
mfr of the plug uses a crazy, illogical numbering scheme for his
plug. Not only that, but the numbers are VERY hard to read. So
I'll dispense with numbers, and start from scratch. Realizing it's
nuts, Yaesu does not number the pins, they simply point to the
pins and tell you the pinout.

Yaesu gives you a graphic of the connector, and the caption says,
"as viewed from rear panel." The gap in pins is down. This is what
it looks like on the rear panel as you look at it from outside the
radio. In order, clockwise, starting from the gap, the pins are:

Band Data D
+13V
Band Data A
TX Gnd
Band Data B
Gnd
TX Inhibit

The center pin is Band Data C

BTW -- the numbers printed on the actual plug are, in clockwise
order, 6, 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 7. The center pin is 8. AND, the printing
of the numbers is SO light and so bad that depending on how you
look at it, they look like different numbers. 5 looks like 6, 6
looks like 8, etc. AARGH!

Another point. When I bought a stock of DIN plugs several years
ago from RF connection, they asked which version of the 8-pin I
wanted. There are two. One fits Yaesu, one fits other radios. The
location of the pins is different enough that they don't mate.
AARGH!

Another problem. I've bought plugs like this from more than one
source. Most of those plugs MELT when you try to solder to them,
even with a very good temp controlled iron. AARGH! One solution
I've seen is to plug the plug into a mating jack while you solder
it.

73,

Jim K9YC