Amps

Re: [Amps] Suggestion.....

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Suggestion.....
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 09:40:50 -0700
On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 12:27:20PM -0500, Jim Dawson wrote:

> Can we change this group so when you click "Reply" in your mail
> client it goes to the group and not to the individual? If it is
> important enough to post to the group, most likely so is the
> response.  Jim - K9DD

Since I am the "list owner" (which does not mean much really) I will
weigh in here and say that I do not feel that would be a good change
and I would not make that change without almost everyone on the list
agreeing to such a change.

To further expand on it a bit, in my experience as the mailman admin
and a system admin for lists.contesting.com and for another domain
that hosts 500 email lists I can tell you that, in general, the
'reply-to list' option can be the cause of more trouble in the form of
private messages going to the list than it is ever worth. It almost
always results in unintended personal attacks or private information
being posted to a list. In addition I feel that it lowers the signal
to noise ratio of a list since replies that really do not benefit the
list as a whole get broadcast to the list by default. I think it is a
good thing that posting to a list of hundreds or thousands of people
be more difficult than hitting the default reply button and typing.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net