Amps

Re: [Amps] interesting statement in Dishtronix

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] interesting statement in Dishtronix
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:45:31 +1030
Charles,

I'm presently designing, building and testing a homebrew solid state HF
amplifier with similar specs to the DX2400L. The amp comprises a twin pair
of 1200 Watt pallet modules based on 4 x SD2943 parallel-push-pull / total
of 8 x 50V MOSFET devices that are being combined with a homebrew 2-port
combiner to produce a 2400 Watt nominal output capability with lots of Po
headroom for power back-off down to clean legal-limit operation.

I can say it's a challenging tall order to design a rugged, robust and fully
bullet proof SS amp to work at full rated Po spec above a 2:1 load VSWR with
today's available RF power semiconductor devices.  I can empathise with the
Dishtronix designers and their pragmatism by passing off non-resonant
antenna loads as being too hard to deal with...at a cost hams would be
willing to pay. The Dishtronix amp is already an expensive high-end product
appealing to limited market segments.

The antenna VSWR here at my QTH is pretty flat on my favourite DX bands that
I use, and on the couple of bands where its rises at the band edges I simply
use my trusty AT5K manual tuner to tweak up the VSWR to near 1:1. The Alpha
4040 auto-ATU would also do a competent job with the DX2400L or any other SS
amp.

Turning on a tube amp and waiting for the heaters to warm up seems like an
inordinate amount of time when you hear that rare DX station calling CQ; the
solid-state amp being instantly ready for service!

I see the load matching requirements of QRO solid state amps as being quite
a minor negative aspect when weighed up against all the other plus point
advantages.

Leigh
VK5KLT