Amps

Re: [Amps] Future of RF AMPS

To: 'Larry' <larry@w7iuv.com>, Leigh Turner <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Future of RF AMPS
From: <dsolberg@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:41:26 +0000
While the MOSFETs can output 1200 watts with four in parallel/push-pull, the
output transformer ratio will limit the practical output to between 800 and
1KW, using a 9:1 with a 50V power supply.  The 9:1 optimal output is at 800
watts.  Tokyo HyPower uses this design and they rate it for 1KW.  I can also
get 1KW with my homebrew amp with (4) SD2933's, but prefer to run it closer to
800 watts to improve the IMD.

If you really want the full legal limit, you would be better to have two PA
modules and a combiner.  Otherwise the output transformer design is going to
get real complicated.  The other option is running higher voltage, which
complicates the selection of a power supply.  50 volt computer server switching
power supplies are low cost and easy to obtain.

I am happy with 800-1KW, but maybe someday I will try the combiner just for the
fun of it.

Don
K9AQ