Amps

Re: [Amps] QRO 2500DX MARK lll 4CX800

To: "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>, "'Bob Gibson'" <w5rg@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO 2500DX MARK lll 4CX800
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 12:04:45 +1030
Precisely Carl.  Agree with your comments about Eimac tubes being designed
and built to CCS specifications and their associated excellent longevity.

I am of the conservative school of belief that one takes a good hard look at
a transmitting tube's Data Sheet, or a linear amplifier employing any given
tube, then make a decision to de-rate the maximum specified operating
conditions / power output by circa 3 dB.

Doing so will preserve emission such that the damn tube will virtually last
forever in amateur service!  Especially if the tube's filament/heater has a
slow controlled soft-start mechanism to avert inrush current and thermal
shock at initial switch-on. In SSB linear amplifier service such power
output back-off significantly improves the linearity and achievable IMD
specifications.

My venerable Kenwood TL-922 amp still has its original factory fitted 3-500Z
tubes....and still makes specified PEP!

Now anybody perusing my qrz.com pages will notice I also happen to be an
aficionado of the often and unfairly disparaged GU84B tetrode....it is an
admirable performer that also exhibits great longevity when properly used!

It is misguided folly to push any transmitting tube too hard for like you
say no perceivable benefit at the Rx end.

73

Leigh
VK5KLT