Amps

[AMPS] Gassy tube??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Gassy tube??
From: sbookout@mnsinc.com (Steve)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 16:41:17 -0500
Hello All,

After much 'goosey-ness' I finally applied HV to my 10 meter 4-400 amp.
One of the two tubes appears really gassy.  Looks more like a mercury vapor
rectifier than a power tube.  It has a very apparent violet glow to it.

When I fired the amp up all was OK.  I shorted the keying line to check the
idling current and that's when I saw the glow.  It appears to be drawing
about 25 mils of grid current and the idling plate current seems a bit low
at about 75 mils.  This is all with 4500 volts on the plate.

Is this tube beyond hope or is there some sort of 'de-gassing' procedure
which MAY work (extended filament time, 'burn in' with a lower plate
voltage, etc.)

Any ideas?

73 de Steve, NJ4F

Make note; New Email address is nj4f@erols.com.