Amps

[AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil T. (VE3OZZ))
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 19:10:49
Bill, you could put the Cantenna on a magnetic stirrer, with the spinner in
the bottom of the Cantenna can.  This would circulate the oil and enable
longer periods of full power operation.  Since you appear to work at a
university, you should have quick access to a stirrer (sign it out for the
weekend).  For longer full power duration, remove the Cantenna lid
w/resistor assembly from the gallon can, and place it in a 5 gallon can of
oil. Circulate if possible with the stirrer.  Obviously there is a limit
considering the relatively small dissipation capacity of the resistor
assembly.

Phil T

At 09:10 AM 2/3/99 -0500, you wrote:

>  The Cantenna dummy loads just can't take 1.5 Kw for
>very long. I was wondering if anyone has tried to
>cool one of these. Either by running water thru the
>can in a coil of copper tubing or maybe even having
>the water replace the oil and run it thru the can.
>I guess another possibility is to have oil circulated thru
>the can and cool it in an heat exchanger. Any ideas?
>I seem to be able to run 2KW into mine for at least
>a 10 or 20 seconds at a time with out any additional
>cooling. But not long enough for serious test.
>
>  73
>Bill wa4lav
>
>  William L. Fuqua III  P.E.  E-mail WLFUQU00@POP.UKY.EDU  Phone (606)
257-4155