Amps

[AMPS] RE: 4-1000A input Z

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE: 4-1000A input Z
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil T. (VE3OZZ))
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 20:27:34
Gents,

Most of the old articles on the 4-1000 in G-G, and Eimac's own newsletter
on tetrodes in G-G,  indicate that the cathode driving impedance of the
4-1000 is around 110 ohms  (104 - 110 ohms with 3KV - 5KV plate voltage).
I don't really see what other option Jon has,  other than to assume the
average driving Z is around 110 ohms - even Eimac says so.  I don't see
anything wrong with the resistor substitution idea for the intitial set-up
- as long as you don't expect it to be a perfect setup under actual
operation. It's just an inital stab to get you up and running.

Watch out for the component values you calculate for the input Pi when you
use the standard "handbook" formulas.  If you use a Q of 2 with these
formulas, you'll actually end-up with a Q closer to 4.  Those formulas
assume that all the stored energy in the network can be accounted-for in
the input shunt C, and therefore the Q of the input C is the Q of the whole
network.  It isn't.  With a low Z, step-up transformation ratio like this
(50:100 ohms), a significant portion of the network energy is stored in C2
and therefore the Q of C2 must be added to Q of C1.  Having an adjustable L
plus an adjustable C2 (remember Carl's suggestion from way back of using
the ARCO mica compression trimmers) as Rich suggested provides lots of
flexibility for unknown and unmeasurable factors.

Phil T