Amps

[AMPS] Alert

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alert
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 02:43:25 -0400
At 11:59 AM 7/21/01 -0700, Jim Barber wrote:

>>Please check your system, it looks like there is a V I R U S going around.
>>Thanks Will,  K6NDV
>
>Yep.. I've received 4 copies of a mail worm in the last couple
>of days, all from the same address.  The header could always be
>spoofed, but CQ W9UC??

Without knowing which critter this was, many of the recent worms attempt to
fake you out by stealing the subject and quoting text of something recent
you or someone else sent, and using a real sender (the infected computer's
user) in the header of the e-mail.  Aside from up-to-date scanning software
and mailing lists set to reject all attachments, the only real protection
is not to open ANY attachments.

In that connection, the latest version of the free Zonealarm firewall
automatically adds a nonsense extension (.z--) to all attachments, so that
you have to actually change the extension of the file before you can open
it -- good protection against an accidental double-click.

73, Pete N4ZR
No, no ... that's WEST Virginia