Amps

Re: [Amps] Zener Diode Needed

To: Bob Maser <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>, AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Zener Diode Needed
From: Robert Groh <rgroh@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 13:42:15 -0700 (PDT)
Regarding the 2nd point - yes, you can easily put zeners in series. But the
wattages do not need to be the same necessarily - since they are in series, the
same current will flow in each one and the power dissipated will be:

Current through the string * voltage of each zener

You can start by calculating the maximum current through the existing zener for
the power rating (or be conservative and use 1/2 (or less) of the rated power)
and then use that current to calculate the power dissipation in the 'new'
choices.

73
Bob, WA2CKY