Amps

[AMPS] What Amp to buy

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] What Amp to buy
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner, W7TI)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:13:35 GMT
On Wed, 04 Mar 1998 21:46:36 EST, km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
wrote:

>Here is my list Doug:
>
>1.  AL-1200
>2. Alpha 91b
>3. Command 2500
>4. Various used amps.
>
>Note that the AL-1500 is not on the list. The 91b has the advantage of a
>superior warranty but the AL-1200 tube is idiot proof. You gotta weigh
>all the options based upon your needs, skills and operating.

Carl is correct about the tube in the AL-1200 being idiot proof, but
the 91B as a whole is idiot proof, too.  It has more fault sensors
than you can shake a stick at and believe me if you mess up, it will
shut off in the blink of an eye.  Mess up with the AL-1200 and it just
sits there and groans till something gives.

I've owned them both and I like the 91B.  I figure when you're
spending that much money, don't sweat a couple hundred bucks one way
or the other.  Get the best, you won't be sorry.

73, Bill W7TI