Amps

[Amps] Handbook Amp and Homebrew 8877

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Handbook Amp and Homebrew 8877
From: "W7RY" <w7ry@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:38:13 -0700
Hey Tom...

I have been making my own with sheet aluminum and aluminum angle. I get the
aluminum from: http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ I see that you're in Uruguay.
Surely there is a place to get sheet aluminum?

I get the aluminum plates cut to size and then use the angle to hold it all
together.  Take a look at WD7S's amplifiers. This is how he does it. Takes a
little time but it's easy and you can get good results.

You can also get stuff from Byres Custom Cabinets:
http://home.flash.net/~k3iwk/  My home brew 3cx800 amp cabinet is from them.
Please see: http://home.centurytel.net/w7ry/ for my home-brew 3cx800 amp and
how it's constructed.

I can send some pictures of my current project with the 8877. I have the power
supply built and am working on the layout of the rest of the amp. This amp will
have a separate power supply and I'm going to use vacuum variables. I ordered
the exact same band switch that Jerry used in his amp. I also have the tank
coils and toridal coils wound for the 80 and 160 meter tank. I also have the L-
coil ready to wind. I'm using the WD7S tuned input module. I tried to use the
LDG auto tuner in my 3cx800 amp and did not like the way it worked so I used
the WD7S module in that too. I did use all variable caps (type 30M) for the
tuned input module for both amps. I got them from RF parts.
http://www.rfparts.com/caps_trimmers.html  I like to use variable caps for the
tuned input because I can make adjustments if I want. with the windings of the
toriodial coils of the tuned input as WD7S shows in his instruction sheet, I
can get the input match to the tube 1:1.

Good luck and I can send you some pictures when I get a chance. Email me any
time with questions about your project. You can also call me on the phone too.
I travel for work during the week but usually I'm around home on the weekends.
BTW if you bought the handbook, the CD that comes with it has high resolution
pictures of Jerry's amp that you can really see much more details that is shown
in the book itself. Also be sure to download the updates to his original
article on the ARRL web site. I think the later versions of the handbook had
the corrected info but I'm not sure.

73
Jim W7RY