Amps

[AMPS] Filament Choke Question (RE: Handbook example)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Filament Choke Question (RE: Handbook example)
From: w6ru@lightspeed.net (Terry Gaiser)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:04:10 -0800
One point I have not seen mentioned about this as yet....When you bypass
the heater to ground on the 8877 the cathode and heater will be at a
different potential by the amount of RF voltage driving the cathode.
Over the years I have seen several 8877's develope a heater to cathode
short when over driven or a bad load is presented to the amplifier with
normal drive applied. By using a tri-filer choke on the heater and
cathode you can keep them at the same RF potential by coupling the rf
drive to both. By doing this AND having a grid over-current trip on my
8877 amp I have never lost a tube through a lot of years of DXing and
contesting with guest ops.
Good Luck with your 8877 amp project Jon...it is a GREAT tube!
Terry W6RU