Amps

[AMPS] glue

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] glue
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner, W7TI)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:23:08 GMT
I work in the aircraft electronics industry as a manufacturing
engineer.  Our experience with any kind of "super glue" such as the
dozens of varieties made by Loctite is they are good for about a year
and then get brittle and become susceptible to fracture during
vibration.  We only use them for temporary fixturing, never for
long-term bonding.

If you've ever seen a Loctite catalog, you'll notice there are dozens
if not hundreds of cyanoacrylate adhesives, all similar but supposedly
"engineered" for some specific application.  It makes me think if
these adhesives are so wonderful, why does it take so many types to
accomplish what is basically a simple job?  Please excuse my
suspicious nature, but that's partly what engineers are paid for.

Epoxies are generally the way to go, however in an amplifier there is
a temperature issue which I'm not qualified to address.  Translation:
be careful.

73, Bill W7TI