Amps

Re: [Amps] Grid Dipping the Pi network in a new amp?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid Dipping the Pi network in a new amp?
From: STEVEN & NANCY FRAASCH <sjfraasch@embarqmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:38:58 -0400 (EDT)
David:

The resistor composition will not make as much difference as will the overall
length of the resistor.  Remember we're dealing with HF; therefore, I don't
think a 1/8 watt resistor with short leads will add much series inductance to
the resistive load.  Remember that your tube when it is active will add series
inductance (and more important shunt C from the plate to grid structure)
because of its length and geometry,

A good rule of thumb for wire inductance (or any filamentary current) is 20
pH/mil.  Therefore, 1" of wire will create about 20 nH of inductance, or 3.6
ohms of inductive reactance at 28.5 MHz.  That is insiginificant in a high Z
tank circuit.  I am not an expert on resistor composition effects, but metal
film (I believe) is probably the best choice, but the resistor length, not its
composition, will determine its parasitic effects for the most part.  Again, I
use 0402 metal film SMT resistors in shunt all the way to 20 GHz with
repeatable results on printed circuit boards.  An 0402 resistor at 20 GHz is
dimensionally much larger than a 1/8 W resistor with 1" leads at 28 MHz.  I
have used 0201 resistors upside down (to emulate a microstrip TE line better)
on surface mount microstrip 75 GHz antenna arrays and they also worked fairly
well as terminators.

Good luck !

73, Steve K0SF