Amps

[Amps] Capacitance Amount Formula

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Capacitance Amount Formula
From: davek at medphys.ucl.ac.uk (Dr. David Kirkby)
Date: Mon Feb 10 06:43:25 2003
jeff millar wrote:

> This is a ripple calculation based on the basic capacitor formula
>
>     I = C * dV / dT
>
> Let's say you want 3% ripple at 4 KV...that's 120V.  The capacitor charges
> on each line peak, twice in each 60 Hz cycle, or 8.3 msec.  Rearranging
>
>     C = I * dT / dV
>
> Plugging in
>
>     C = 0.5A * 8.3 ms / 120V = 35 uFd
>
> jeff, wa1hco
I think you will find the solution is not quite as easy as that - it
depends on type of rectification used - half wave, full wave bridge,
full wave two diodes, 3 phase .... There's a classic paper on this
published many years ago - I'm sure a search on Google will find it.

Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
Senior Research Fellow,
Department of Medical Physics,
University College London,