Amps

[Amps] Preparation for Amp construction

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Preparation for Amp construction
From: millenniumfalcon at cableone.net (Jim Isbell)
Date: Wed Jul 2 07:57:21 2003
Part of my set up work before starting construction of the 4-1000A
amplifier has been to get the proper instrumentation assembled and ready
for warfare.

Today I got a grid dip meter that I purchased on E Bay.  It works fine
but needs a few minor items like one foot, a lens for the power on
indicator (one of the screw in plastic red domes from the 50s) and a
knob for the tuning head (the shaft is broken flush with the panel so I
will have to glue on a new shaft extension).  It came with the complete
set of coils, not one missing even though the seller advertised it as
only having 3 coils.  The rest were loose down inside the instrument,
all seven of them are there.

But what I need right now is some information.  This is one of the old
instruments that was made in Boonton NJ by a company that, as I
remember, was bought my Hewlwtt Packard many years ago.  The only name
on the meter is "Measurements" and a symbol that looks like a stylized
meter face.  This is the one that has a separate tuning head called a
"megacycle meter".  If my old memory is not too far off they also made a
capacitance/inductance/Q  meter that used a single type 80 tube, a huge
thing that looked like a small suitcase.  I have always thought this was
the best GD meter ever built but it sure surprised me that it came up
running....and only $20 plus shipping.

What I am looking for is a name to go with it and possibly a schematic
or an instruction book...though a GD meter doesn't really need much
instruction....#8-)    Anyone have any information???