Amps

Re: [Amps] 3CX800 grid collet or SK1900

To: g8gsq72@gmail.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX800 grid collet or SK1900
From: Gerald Williamson via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:41:03 -0400
Hi Steve, you may well be right about grid inductance not being needed at
2m. It could be more for saving some costs.

This was the method used in the original Eimac published design by W6PO
back in the early 70's. The Eimac 8877 socket from that era and maybe still
today, used four grounding clips.

I have a 2m coaxial cavity amplifier that uses an 8877 with a continuous
fingerstock ring for grounding the grid. I never noticed it was in need of
neutralization so perhaps it simply does not matter which grid grounding
method  is used on 2m and lower frequencies.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 6/15/2015 10:18:39 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
g8gsq72@gmail.com writes:

The grid  ring on a 3CX800 is the same size as the screen ring on a
4CX250 so you  could dismantle a '250 base to get one.

I've done neutralising with  grid fingers at UHF but not seen it needed
at 2m.

Steve

>  Hi Conrad, the four finger grid grounding may be there for the purpose
of
> neutralizing the plate to cathode feedback path.
>
>  Sort of like you may have seen individual fingers removed from
fingerstock
> to create a small inductance from grid to  ground.
>
> I have seen many 8877 2m amplifiers that use this  technique.
>
> 73,
> Gerald  K5GW
>

> In a message dated  6/15/2015 7:09:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> g0ruz@g0ruz.com  writes:
>
> I have a  grounded grid 3CX800 2m amplifier that  needs some TLC. One of
the
> most  alarming things is that the grid  is grounded by 4 small pieces of
> fingerstock  that has seen  better days.  I thought that I would remedy
the
> situation   and so I am looking for a grid collet or the SK1900 assembly.
I have