Amps

Re: [Amps] HF and 4cx250b's

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HF and 4cx250b's
From: Tony King <amps@w4zt.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:21:41 -0400
Jerry,

I've worked on many (military) 4CX250B HF amps and built VHF ones. They all worked great. I have had some leak smoke and scare the devil out of me with the "POW!" as probably anyone that's spent much time with them has.

Today, I'd have to question why anyone would spend money on them for new construction when there are much better alternatives out there. I don't know what you're thinking of spending on tubes, sockets, chimneys and screen supplies but you can get a lot more smokeless enjoyment [smile] from a single GS35B for about $100 and know that you have a much more stable amp with headroom to spare over what you could get from four 4CX250Bs.

If you already have a bucket full of 4CX250Bs, sockets and chimneys then you might have a case for building with them but you might do better selling them on Ebay as replacements and going the other route.

GL es 73 de Tony W4ZT

At 02:22 AM 7/14/2004, jerry wrote:
Hi all,

Is there some reason why there seems to be very few HF amps built around the 4cx250b's? They seem to be cheep and very plentiful.

I am thinking of building an HF amp using 3 or 4 4cx250b's. Is there

anything wrong with doing this?

Cheers

Jerry