Amps

Re: [Amps] L4B HV diodes

To: Yuri Onipko <ve3dz@rac.ca>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] L4B HV diodes
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:45:22 -0400
Yuri,
Not necessarily, you may get by with replacing the one diode with the 1N5408. I think the 1N5406 is the 600 V, 3 amp. They should all have a drop of about 0.7 volts a piece. I only found one data sheet for this on the web and it was a pay site. It's a wonder they didn't all fail from the domino effect. But, if you want to replace them all, get some good solder wick and go at it. To find an original M4G5, you'd probably have to search about all the surplus houses. A Google search didn't find any for sale anywhere. I still don't think it would cause too much of a problem just replacing that one, if it's the only bad one in the string. About the only way to tell for sure if they're good or not is run a hi-pot test for leakage on each.

Best & 73's

Will Matney

Yuri Onipko wrote:

Will, thanks a lot for reply.
Yes, I know about 1N5408 and I just bought a bunch of them here in Toronto
for 25 cents a piece.
But my question was regarding original M4G5.
I have only 1 blown diode, but now I have to replace all 14!

73 Yuri VE3DZ
----- Original Message ----- From: "craxd" <craxd1@ezwv.com>