Amps

[Amps] 3-500Z tube recommendations

To: amplifiers@qrq.us, amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 3-500Z tube recommendations
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:45:13 -0500

I am thinking about purchasing some new 3-500Z tubes for my Drake L4 - just wondering what recommendations anyone had. Currently the amp has a pair of 3-400Z Amperex graphite tubes from 1968. They work fine but one glows a bit brighter than the other and I would prefer to have another set anyway. This requires the purchase of new chimneys so this will be a two phased approach.

I made the mistake of buying some old 3-400Z tubes for it only to find out that they had suffered a wee parasite... so no more 36 year old tubes for me! Not unless they are properly tested beforehand!

So what does anyone/everyone recommend? RF Parts comes to mind but would like to hear the experiences of others who purchased from other companies.

Thanks

73 Jason N1SU