Amps

Re: [Amps] Spam from Members of this List ...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Spam from Members of this List ...
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 07:34:25 +0100

Tony King - W4ZT wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Hotmail used to be well known for releasing all their email addresses to
> the wild. I don't know how they are today.  I have managed to keep quite
> a few email addresses completely hidden from the world and I use them
> every day. The key is that you nor anyone you send email to lets them
> out. That is very difficult to do.

Can I highlight one thing in this regard - I get emails intentionally
sent to a large list of people from someone's address book. Maybe it's
about amps policy, maybe an address change or new mobile number. The
list of names is almost always simply copied into the 'to' or 'cc'
field, so they are visible to every recipient. Any one of the recipients
who has, or falls victim to, a harvesting virus gives up the entire list.

If you're sending to a whole bunch of people, please do everyone a
favour and use blind copy, or 'bcc'.

Steve