Amps

Re: [Amps] Buying Amp

To: jsternmd <jsternmd@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Buying Amp
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:34:42 -0700
Jerry,

I bought an Acom 1000 and have put 40,000 contacts on it.  It still has
the original tube with full output.  I bought a spare tube but may never
need it.  I use the amp often in full QSK mode on CW which I don't think
the HL-1.5 offers.  The amp tunes very quickly at reduced power via the
center tune dispaly.  I do NOT use alc for SSB and the amp enable is
non-inductive and is 12V open circuit and <10mA closed.  Thus all
current transceivers can interface directly to the amp.  I really like
the 100W 6 dB pad that gets inserted in front of the amp for excessive
reflected power or excessive drive.  The amp protection is superb for
all kinds of antenna SWRs etc.  The only downside to the amp is the 2
1/2 min. warm up time.  Good luck in your choice.

73,
Larry, W0QE