Amps

[Amps] Vacuum Variable Capacitor Questions

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Vacuum Variable Capacitor Questions
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:39:18 -0700
I have some known good vacuum variable capacitors that I would like to
use in a couple of home made antenna tuners.  The capacitors all hipot
at more than the specs with leakages of only a few uA.  How robust are
the caps. to arcovers?  For a tuner with air variable capacitors trying
to match problem impedances my amplifier very quickly sees the bad SWR
if an arcover occurs and shuts down.  No harm appears be done to the air
variable capacitor as the arc only lasts a fraction of a second.  Then I
just reduce the power and continue.  Is the same true for a vacuum
variable capacitor or is some permanent damage done to the capacitor?
In no case am I getting close to the maximum current rating of the
vacuum capacitor.

Thanks and 73,
Larry Benko, W0QE