Amps

Re: [Amps] Circuit Board Question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Circuit Board Question
From: "g8on@btinternet.com" <g8on@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 09:46:35 +0100 (BST)
According to the ITT 'Reference data for radio engineers', 3 oz (0.0042inches
thick) copper will give you 3.5 skin depths at 1.8 MHz.
At 30 MHz, one skin depth is 0.00048 inches.

At DC and LF, a conductor width of 0.1 inch would give you a temperature rise
of 10C at 10 amps. (MIL-STD-275C)

I would use about 0.2 inch spacing, but if the unit is where condensation can
be a problem, it would be worth using a coating of varnish.

My switching unit uses a normal receiving type ceramic switch, about 1.25
inches across, with clips on both sides, driven by a Ledex. The traces are 50
ohm traces on 1 oz copper (about 3/16 inches wide or so), none more than about
3 inches long. The SWR is about 1.2 at 30 MHz and it has been running quite
happily since 1996 in an unheated shed at the base of the tower. No varnish on
the board, just a tin dip.

73

Peter G3RZP