Amps

[Amps] Big transformers?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Big transformers?
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:29:11 -0400
Hi all,

perhaps someone can help me with a purely technical transformer question:

I understand that large transformers have to be designed for lower flux
density than small ones. Otherwise the core loss would become excessive,
due to the less favorable area-to-volume ratio of the larger
transformer. The question now is very simple: For an 8kVA transformer,
using common inexpensive standard 0.5mm thick silicon steel laminations
(no Hypersil  nor anything like that), what's the optimal flux density?

My transformer will run at 50Hz, so I guess the flux density can be a
tad higher than for 60Hz.

While 8kVA is a bit larger than what would be usually employed for ham
QRO, maybe someone here does have experiende (or a good engineering
book!) and can help me!

My experience designing transformers so far is limited to what a ham
would typically use, which is mostly low power to a few hundred watts,
and one single 2kW transformer for ICAS. Now this 8kVA CCS transformer
is new territory for me!

Manfred.