Amps

Re: [Amps] LK 500 ZA heat

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK 500 ZA heat
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:18:01 +0100
Gary McAdams wrote:

> My question is: Would it be advantageous to add additional cooling via
> something like added muffin fans on the sides pushing air into the amp?
>
> Or would that just be a waste of time?
It might be useful - but not necessarily because of any effect on the
amount of airflow. Air is like water, and follows the easiest route,
This means it goes past and round objects, often leaving a layer of
still air on their surface. Still air is a good heat insulator. Sucking
air tends to produce this sort of flow. The air coming out of a fan is
turbulent, and this can increase cooling effect by increasing the
contact between moving air and the hot surface.

Steve