Amps

Re: [Amps] OK to run HV power supply with no load?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] OK to run HV power supply with no load?
From: Bill Dzurilla <billdz.geo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 21:34:12 -0700 (PDT)
Tried it again.  At the suggestion of folks who contacted me off-line, this
time ran the Drake B- to ground through a different one ohm resistor, a
resistor that is totally separate and apart from the Harbach board, added
bypass capacitors and used heavier wire.

This time, no sign of any arcing or other problems with the power supply.
However, RF output is zero.  I am reading some plate current on the amp's plate
current meter, although quite a bit lower than with the internal p/s.  I do not
know for sure if the amp's meter is reading accurately, but I can't think of
any reason why it would be inaccurate, as on the L-7 the B- also goes to ground
through a one ohm resistor.

With the internal supply, idling plate current is 100ma.  With the Drake, it's
reading only about 10ma.  With 5 watts of drive, the internal supply shows
200ma of plate current, while with the Drake supply the meter reads 100ma.  I
suppose I need a high voltage probe to verify HV and a separate ammeter to
confirm the plate current reading.  If there's a bad connection somewhere I'd
expect to see zero plate current.

Any further ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

73, Bill NZ5N