Amps

Re: [Amps] Henry 2K-3 PS Mod

To: Kevin LaHaie <klahaie@centricata.com>, Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2K-3 PS Mod
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:15:23 -0700
Kevin LaHaie wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am planning to convert the stock P/S in my Henry 2K-3 to a purely
> capacitor filter primarily to increase the HV, but in addition some way
> that capacitor filters are better for SSB.   My other, newer Henry's (2K
> Classic X and 3K Classic X Mark II) still use the choke filter design,
> albeit with higher voltages, and never had a complaint!

> 1. What changes to the biasing is necessary with the higher plate voltage

According to the 3-500z data sheet
<http://home.c2i.net/clank/ham/pa/3-500z.html>, class AB2 operation at
3000v requires a cathode voltage of +10v, with 3500v requiring +15v. The
2K3 schematic shows a 1N2808B zener in the cathode circuit, which is a
10v 50w part.

I would keep a couple of other things in mind. Gain will be higher with
higher plate voltage, so any tendency to instability will be magnified.

I don't know what the plate spacing of the tuning capacitor is, but make
sure it is enough for the increased voltage.

I am not sure this is a good idea. Why do you want to do this?

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco