Amps

Re: [Amps] Drake L7 in UK, any idea of value please?

To: Harold Mandel <hmandel@barantelecom.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L7 in UK, any idea of value please?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:14:34 -0400
Harold Mandel wrote:
> Dear Tyrone,
>
> The desirability of amplifiers with ten meters in the U.S. is probably
> for CB operators wanting to tune up on 27.025MHz.
>
> Most of the hams I know could care less about 10 meters, much less
> go out of their way to get a linear amplifier operating there, but there
> are exceptions to everything.

Although rarely used I'd not purchase an amp that wouldn't work on 10
and I don't know any serious DXer that would either.  Most, for those
that know the procedures for the specific amps are easy to add 10.
Actually I don't know of any ham amps that didn't have 10 meter
capability.  It may have been simply locked out on new ones for a
while,  but the coverage easily reactivated by most any ham.   My Alpha,
Henry  2K4 and the new solid state amps all have 10 without requiring
any mods and all meet FCC specs for 10 coverage/drive.  Most new amps
now cover 10 again without requiring mods. IIRC The new Alphas still
require the software lockout be changed which the factory will gladly do
for hams.
> Statistically, amplifier buyers in the Amateur Service are looking
> for the best bang-for-buck, and would like to have a factory model,
> all shiny and pretty, before something with no paint and dents.
>
> When you think of the value of your Drake, look at it in a sales POV:
> Is it shiny and beautiful, inside and out? Then it's a real collectible.
>
> If not, it's a boat anchor. Even most old Collins gear are boat anchors.

Boat anchors are the pride and joy for many of us Boat Anchor collectors
and restorers.  Even a pristine SX115 is still considered a boat anchor
even if the going price for those in mint condition is over three
grand.  At least some of them are going for that .  Since the dot com
bust they've been (on average) a little more realistic but still expensive.

73

Roger (K8RI)