Amps

Re: [Amps] Refurbishing old amps

To: David Cutter <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Refurbishing old amps
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:17:53 -0400
David Cutter wrote:
> Some excellent advice here but most of the stuff mentioned doesn't ring any
> bells with me. Perhaps some Brits know equivalents for these.

I'm not sure about the UK sources or equivalents.
> We have WD40 and I've seen MEK at work but not sure I could get it from a

WD40 is just a penetrating oil that is mostly solvents.  The LPS series
penetrating oil is an equivalent.
> 'domestic' source, I'll look around.  IPA I can get at the chemist
> (pharmacy).

I don't like Methyl Ethyl Keytone (nasty stuff) and I use a lot of the
peroxide (MEKP) for catalyst with resins.  IPA draws a blank.
> Haven't heard of
> Windex

Window cleaner.  Careful with this stuff around Aluminum unless you can
wash it off thoroughly. It has  Ammonia in it although I understand they
have a new version out without the Ammonia.
> Signature Polish
> Hoppe's #9 gun oil (I'll just go to a gun shop?)

Gun shop, hardware store, even the chain stores often have it.
> Mother's Silver Paste (Brasso?)
> Conducto-Lube silver grease compound
> Cool-Amp powder
> Iridium Yellow (Alocrom 1200? but I only know this for aluminium)

Alodyne or alodine? Puts a flash coating on aluminum or steel depending
on version.  2 step chemical. Wear rubber gloves and face mask, no fumes
as I recall,  disposal might be a problem.
73

Roger (K8RI)