Amps

Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 64, Issue 5

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 64, Issue 5
From: Mike Willis <m.j.willis@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:24:44 +0100
For amplifiers using mechanical coaxial relays, TX/RX switching time
depends mainly on the settling time of the coaxial relay. Here are some
manufacturers figures. An sequencer will need to delay by at least this
amount, preferably a bit more.

Tohotsu relays are very common. The CX540 is the one I see most
frequently and it takes 20mS to engage and 15mS to release.

The CX230, CZX3500, CX600, CX800, CX140 and CX120 are also very commonly
used in amateur applications (because they are good value for not too
much money). They all specify 20mS.

SSB electronics (Germany) do a high power range of relays. These specify
30mS for the HF400 series, 40mS for the HF500/1500 series and 50mS for
the HF4000 series.

Just about all the amplifiers I have seen use one of these relays or
close equivalent. Worst case is 50mS but more likely 20mS.

I do not have figures for Jennings but they are likely to be similar.

Mike

PS - PLEASE don't reply telling us PIN switches are better - I don't
care as that was not the question!