Amps

[Amps] 6m amp based on W1QWJ

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 6m amp based on W1QWJ
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 04:55:34 +0000 (UTC)

Hi gents,

Thanks for the HV responses, great advice.

So I'm embarking on a reproduction of W1QWJ (sk) 6m amplifier using a 3cx800A7,
it's in the 1995 ARRL handbook.    This will be my first full up homebrew tube
amp.  As a general question, is anyone familiar with this design?  Has anyone
reproduced something similar?

More specifically, I'm looking at the filament section and there are two caps
marked .001/500v F.T. but they have three legs, one connected to the filament,
one to the filament xfmr, and the other to ground.   I assume these are .001 uF
Feed Through caps?   What is the purpose of these?   Why 500v, that seems
extreme for a 13v filament voltage.   Also, I see the filament is AC, any
reason?   I was thinking about using the filament xfmr to power other portions
of the control circuit, but I would need DC to do that.   Do you see any issues
in straping on a rectifier in parallel while still powering the tube with AC?

Thanks for the help.

Paul, kg7hf