Amps

Re: [Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor

Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor
From: Paul Whatton <paul@g4dcv.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 19:08:35 +0100
For Vic who originally asked this question, I've seen the figure of
about 40A suggested as the current limit so for a 3-500Z with 3kV, 75R
should do. It isn't the normal power rating of the glitch resistor that
is the problem but as David points out, it's the resistor's ability to
survive the energy pulse from the power supply during flashover.

In my 2m amplifier I use a modest 2kV supply with about 50uF. When I
built the amp I used a 47R 250W thick-film as the glitch resistor (5
times bigger than the 50W RCH series). It "felt" and certainly looked
like it should be more than big enough. But it failed, fortunately open
circuit, on a flashover. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and checking the
datasheet I'd exceeded the overload ratings. BTW such a thick-film
resistor costs about GBP45 new from RS in the UK, that's an expensive
fuse. Fortunately I'd only paid a couple of quid at a hamfest.

IMHO a 50W+ ceramic wirewound is a much better and cheaper bet than the
biggest thick-film in this application.

73 Paul G4DCV