Amps

Re: [Amps] GI-7b issues

Subject: Re: [Amps] GI-7b issues
From: Paul Whatton <paul@g4dcv.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:58:12 +0100
Hi Bob

I haven't used them on HF but I've used a pair of GI-7bs trouble free on
2m for 4 years.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but the force air cooling is
actually working? The fan is running OK?

Assuming you do have plenty of air through them are the coolers screwed
on tight? Ian GM3SEK suggested to me that the machining on the underside
of the cooler isn't great and skimming them in a lathe can improve
things a lot. I haven't done that with mine but it's a good idea. K4POZ
found some have cooler flaws.
http://k4poz.w4zt.com/GI7Bcooler/index.html

They do have plenty of gain at VHF, the GI-7b works even at 1296MHz so
they might be oscillating. But I think you'd see that on the plate
current meter? Provided the grid rings are solidly grounded I wouldn't
expect them to be especially prone to oscillation. There was a
discussion about parasitic supression in the GI-7b in an earlier amps thread
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Amps/2006-09/msg00174.html

I can put my foot on the key and run my 2m pair with them dissipating
700W for hours without a murmur. Lots of cooling air though.

73 Paul G4DCV