Amps

Re: [Amps] 1/4" shaft connectors

To: k7fm <k7fm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 1/4" shaft connectors
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 00:55:18 -0400
k7fm wrote:
> You can also make 1/4" couplers in a few minutes with a lathe.   In fact,
> you can make a whole handful of them.
>
> Saving $9.00 on a coupler is a great reason to spend a couple of thousand
> dollars on a lathe and accessories.  I use  justifications such as this to
> buy all sorts of tools.  I bought my own milling machine so I could make my
> own $40 telegraph key.  A $400 air compressor saves you from having to spend
> a quarter to pump up your tires.
>
> Saving money is a passion of mine.  I just put out $45,000 for solar panels
> and lots of hardware all over the garage to save about $800 in electric
> bills each year.

Man after my own heart.  I've been working toward a good lathe and floor
mill plus the accessories.
Just think of the money I can save. Just the other day I needed a tool
to roll the ends of copper tubing down in size over coax. Instead of
using a $20, hand held,  knurling tool I could build one  using smooth
rollers, or even ball bearings for maybe half again that much, but it'd
be a *good* one. <:-))

Oh, and I'm building a 360 MPH Plus airplane  so I can save the
construction costs.  I have over 1300 hours in it and it's almost
beginning to look like an airplane.  Give another 3,000 or 4,000 hours
and it may be flying. I figure I could sell my old, but nice, higher
performance, complex, retract for enough to get the instruments for the
panel.

73

Roger (K8RI)