Amps

Re: [Amps] Transformer reliability? 34yr old Collins...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer reliability? 34yr old Collins...
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:16:49 +0100
> You can bake it in a 175-200 degree oven for 6-12 hours and that will
> dry it out.   Do this while XYL is out.    Barring that get a pound or
> two of silica gel from a craft store and place it and xfrmr in a sealed
> container for a couple of weeks in a warm place (top of furnace) comes
> to mind
>
> The bakeout is still the best bet though.
>
> - Scott N1JIN

An alternative way to get the heat in it I've used without ruining
my stove and/or marriage is to short the secondary and apply
primary voltage through a variac. Wind the voltage up very slowly
and wait an hour or so to let the temperature stabilise until you
find the right level. Monitor the secondary current and don't go
much beyond the rated value.

Steve