Amps

Re: [Amps] SB-220's, 3-500's, some history

Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220's, 3-500's, some history
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:21:19 -0500

Carl wrote:
> Nice advertisement Lou, business must be slow down there <G>
>
> However with over 250 SB-220 family 6M conversions and many straight
> repairs since the 60's I concur with 99% of the observations.
>
> All the Amperex are graphite and I have a NIB pair of the Eimac
> graphites in my tube collection as well as a pair of Russian prototype
> 3-600Z's there were never released to market.....they didnt work very
> well.
>
> Meanwhile, back to work, finishing up a LK-800A 6M conversion.
>
> Stay warm, I see global warming has frozen another elderly homeowner.

That (If it's the guy up here in Mi) was a case of a 90 some year old
veteran who froze when the city turned off his power due to over $1000
in unpaid utilities.  The Governor now says, no more winter turn offs.

OTOH he may have owed over $1000 but he left over $600,000 to the Bay
City Hospital.  This was probably more of a "didn't get the power of
attorney" signed soon enough. BTW the 8 hottest years on record were in
the last 10.  Hotter summers and colder winters up here any way. OTOH
I'll bet there isn't 6" of frost in the ground in most places around here.

However even with the current temp now well above normal and slated to
make 20 to 30 above normal this week, it's still pretty chilly for tower
work and running conduit.  So I managed to upgrade two computers, made
up a couple from spare parts to recoup a bit of expenses. I also have
two old spares that aren't worth what I could get out of them so they
are going into the radio station AND I may get started on one of those
big, bullet proof tube amps.  Now if I just had enough parts to build a
couple spares.  A 4CX2500 should do well on 2-meters.  I could go for
worked all repeaters in the state (at the same time) from a single 1/4
wave vertical at 130 feet <:-))  I don't know how many times I've made
that remark about operating from the airplane with an amp and people
took me serious. Course I keep telling the locals the Henry 2002A is for
Jnos.
Unfortunately when I get up to 440 we are limited to 50 watts.

73

Roger (K8RI)