Amps

Re: [Amps] Eimac tube on the 'bay

To: n1miw@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Eimac tube on the 'bay
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:48:01 -0400

Larry wrote:
>    I wouldn't recommend powering up the HT-33b though, or you may be
> returning to the restoration bench... Larry

Yah, it looks like some of those pits are pretty deep and PL-172s are
notorious for going gassy while the 8295As have a good reputation. Maybe
that's why a good tested 8295 runs twice the price of a good tested PL-172.
The PL-172s have a designator of PL-172/8295A, but the true 8295A is
metal ceramic while the 172 is metal with glass seals.  Neither one goes
for much (on average) untested.  OTOH I sometimes see some untested "as
is" tubes go for far more than I'd pay.

73

Roger (K8RI)