Amps

Re: [Amps] Checking Plate Choke resonance

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Checking Plate Choke resonance
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:37:27 -0600
Let me add a little insight here.   I believe everyone agrees that a
series resonance would be disastrous for a plate choke.  However for a
parallel resonance there are 2 distinct cases.

Case #1: Just below the parallel resonance Xl is very high such as
+j10,000 and Xc is also very high  such as -j11,000.  At a slightly
higher frequency the parallel resonance has a combined extremely high
impedance and very small circulating current.

Case #2: Just below the parallel resonance Xl is very low such as +j100
and Xc is also very low such as -j110.  At a slightly higher frequency
the parallel resonance has a combined extremely high impedance but a
very high circulating current.

While both cases might mathematically work Case #1 is what we are
talking about for a plate choke.  Case #2 might make sense with medium
value impedances for the plate choke if wanted to increase the impedance
for a specific small frequency range such as 160m.

Larry, W0QE