Amps

Re: [Amps] Emtron

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Emtron
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 12:40:15 -0400
Sorry about double posts...they just updated Thunderbird and it works a
bit differently.

On 5/4/2010 7:51 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 22:36:48 -0400
> From: Roger<sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Importation of Used Tubes, or more generally radio
> parts
>

> James Colville wrote:
>> Lie if you want on an official us customs document.   It's just a
>> feloney.
>>
> They charged me $198 USD duty on a NEW AMP which is supposed to be duty
> free.  Unfortunately I can't see any recourse for getting the money back.
OTOH I did get a chance to talk with the shipping company this morning
and they are going to rehash (fix some mistakes they made on the
invoice) which may help.
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)
>
> ##  Roger, what's the deal on your shiny new EMTRON AMP ??   Which model
> did you buy?   Have you fired it up yet ?   Does it even work ?   Does
> the EBS in it
> actualy save any heat..when running VOX  ssb ??   Can you get 6 kw out
> of it ?
Jim, you must be thinking of the DX4?...They do make several much larger
amps than the DX2 series, starting with the DX3SP, DX4 and I think even
a DX5. The DX3 uses a pair of FU728F's, DX-4 uses a pair of GU-84B's,
and I believe the DX-5 uses the 4CX-5000R version with a 3 phase power
supply.

I thought of getting the DX-3SP, but I don't really need that much power
for overhead...and it wasn't in the budget.   Yes, I actually have a
good YC156 setting on the shelf that "I might" build up some day, but
probably not. (I'm in the accumulating parts stage which my wife says
I've always been in).  The drawback to the YC156 is the size. The price
is certainly right with the availability of reasonably priced pulls.
BTW the DX2,3, and 4 all fit in the same size cabinet with the 4 having
a separate PS.

The DX2/DX2SP series with a single FU728F (or 4CX1500B if you
desire-Just requires changing a tap for the filament voltage) is
comparable to the Alpha manual tune amp that uses a pair of 4CX1000A
tubes. It uses modular construction, is well built, and does what is
claimed as far as I can see.  At 1500 PEP or CW out it just loafs along
with warm air out the exhaust. QSK is silent and certainly keeps up with
my old hands.  They make amps for the world wide community with the US
being just one part.

I've been getting excellent quality signal reports.

They have taken a very smart approach using the modular construction so
the same enclosure can be used for several different amps. As they go up
in power, what I have as a complete desk top unit becomes the RF deck
with a separate PS. I would assume a different set up for the "tube with
handles'.

I've built quite a few "smaller' amps in the past and like a friend of
mine said, not having all the parts on hand, I could purchase a new amp
for the same or less than I could build one. True I could hit up the
swaps around the country for a couple of years, but at my age, like many
other things, it'd never get done.

So far,were I to do it over, I'd still get the same amp.

As I have an airplane to feed and maintain, even though it's over 50
years old, it puts a big crimp in the ham budget.  That and I've about
run out of space for antennas without purchasing a larger home with more
land. Again, that's something at my age that is highly unlikely...unless
I win the lottery, but I guess I'd need to purchase a ticket in that
case.<:-))

(Lottery- And accounting system for people who can't do math)
73

Roger (K8RI)