Amps

Re: [Amps] AL-811 & 572's

To: W7MJM <w7mjm@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-811 & 572's
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:47:17 -0500
I suggest you download the AL-811 and AL-811H from the Ameritron web
site then compare schematics/parts lists.  That is what any other
person would need to do to answer your question.

If the schematics and parts are identical, you have your answer.
If they are different, you have a different answer.  The power
supply specifications are different between the two amplifiers -
700 mA for the AL-811H vs. 550 mA for the AL-811.  That's a hint
right there.

In addition, since the 572B is an 811A with a heavier anode and the
811 is only clean to about 200W PEP per tube, I would not expect
three 572Bs to be clean at 800 W with only 1500V on the plates.
Now, if one chose to raise the AL-811 plate voltage to 2250V (and
the rest of the components could handle the increased voltage), I
suspect one could easily see 1000W PEP from a 3 x 572B AL-811.

The AL-811 is restricted as much by the limited plate current
capability of the 811A tube at 1500V as it is by the plate
dissipation (cooling) of the tubes.  Substituting a beefier anode
does nothing for the plate current capability.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

>>> Martin